Many advertising tags do not have a 100% fill rate. In order to maximize revenue, a technique known as "waterfalling" is typically used.
Once the Brid Player detects that an ad is not returned in a VAST tag or that an ad errors out, the player is able to cascade to another tag and attempt to play a different ad. This process will essentially go down a list currently consisted of 2 ad tags and if none of them return an ad from any of the listed tags, the player will begin content playback.
It is worth noting that a waterfall process may take additional time to display an advertisement. Typically, this should add a few seconds for each ad tag attempt. This delay should be taken into account when implementing this process and deciding how long your ad tag list should be.
Also keep in mind that ad tag waterfalling is currently only supported in a pre roll slot.
To add a pre roll waterfall follow these steps:
- Edit the player you wish to setup ad waterfalls.
- Add a pre roll.
- Two input fields will appear, one for desktop, one for mobile.
- Under each input field you will have an "add secondary tag" button.
- Click on the button and another input field will appear.
- In this field, add your secondary waterfall ad tag.
- Save your player.
You can add up to 2 ad tags in a waterfall this way and in the pre roll slot only.
In the future we plan on extending support to other ad types and increasing the waterfall level depth.