Many advertising tags do not have a 100% fill rate. In order to maximize revenue, a technique known as "waterfalling" is typically used.
Once the Brid Player detects that an ad is not returned in a VAST tag or that an ad errors out, the player is able to cascade to another tag and attempt to play a different ad. This process will essentially go down a list currently consisted of 4 ad tags and if none of them return an ad from any of the listed tags, the player will begin content playback.
It is worth noting that a waterfall process may take additional time to display an advertisement. Typically, this should add a few seconds for each ad tag attempt. This delay should be taken into account when implementing this process and deciding how long your ad tag list should be.
For example, to add a pre-roll waterfall follow these steps:
- Edit the player you wish to set up ad waterfalls.
- Add e.g. a pre-roll.
- An input field will appear which accepts a VAST/VPAID ad tag URL.
- On the right corner right above the input field, you should see a small "+" button.
- Click on the button and another input field will appear.
- In this field, add your secondary waterfall ad tag and so on.
- Save your player.
You can add an unlimited amount of ad tags in a waterfall this way on any ad slot.